Friday, June 26, 2009

New Goodies

Here are a couple of new models I've been working on. I was unsure of the Fish ring... fearing it might turn out too dorky. I don't think it ranks obnoxiously high on the dork-o-meter though. I made it for pennies fished out of a fountain. Right now the bezel (where you put the stone) got crunched down a bit in casting. (Insert favorite gosh darn it phrase here.) So I can't fit any penny in. I can fix it. It just was taking a bit too much time and patience so I decided to go ahead and take some pictures with a dime.


**One of my problems with the fishy ring is... I kinda have a dork asthetic. Obviously. But when I tried to stylize the fish at all... I was messing with symbols, it seemed to me. And since I'm not religious, I don't like to utilize such symbols in my work unless its for a particular purpose. A fish symbol with the casual inference of religion didn't feel right. If I could stylize the fish successfully, to where I didn't see such casual inference, that would be best. I didn't make it in this round. I was left with dorkiness.

**This may seem like over thinking. (lol.) But this is one step where things succeed or not. It is not just that a design is pleasing, but whether there is a sense of coherent thought or intention behind the work. Which, in all honesty, may be one reason why my successes are dwarfed by my failures. I do not excel in coherence. In fact, I think dorkiness is okay, the way pizza and beer and football can satisfy if a few brain cells and a certain portion of the psych is left, fumbling for the ideal.
----
This is the flower POWER ring. Both of these models need to get cleaned up, then molded and recast for the finish piece. (They are carved out of wax then cast into the silver shown here.) I made the flower ring so that I can use nickels too. Or dimes.

7 comments:

GalleryJuana said...

It will be fun to see how the final version turns out.

I can understand the frustration with trying to avoid unintended symbolism.

Linda PS said...

I think you can avoid the religious fish by keeping it in the so-called dork zone. (I am a strong dork supporter!)

Unknown said...

Both are fantastic, I think a dork aesthetic is a-ok in fashion. It might end up worn by someone else but you as the craftsperson need to be pleased with it so your passion for creating it comes through in the finished piece. make what you want & love! So pretty :-)

Suldog said...

These are really neat. Ever since you started showing these here, I've liked the idea of things to utilize old coins. Very original.

Rosebud Collection said...

I say this..go with what comes out of you, that is what is meant to be. Will be interesting to see the end product.

Chris Stone said...

You know I like the idea of calling the fish "koi" fish, which, apparently are good luck symbols. be my luck they are associated with buddhism or something.

lol.

Diary of a Young Designer said...

wow, definitely want to see how it turns out in the end.

xo
Sophie