Friday, July 9, 2010

On the Positive Side of Things...

The June challenge of the Metal thread group involved turning a "sow's ear into a silk purse." *Open for interpretation and all that.* It was a fun challenge. I like the attitude of looking for possibilities in discarded or odd items. I might try to do more of these. It suits my brain.

What I used was a steel ball (bearing?) I found in the street. I wrapped it with silver. The silver was going to get further cleaned up after I antiqued it. But I stopped with the piece still looking a bit abused, and unpolished.



More of the Chatty Metalsmiths challenge pieces can be viewed here.

And my hero of fun..

9 comments:

Ladybuggz said...

Hi Chris! Nice pendant. :o)

Almost Precious said...

Great piece! You used your imagination well.
I think you were right in keeping the silver rustic looking, it compliments the pitted and worn look of the steel ball and would have been incongruent with the piece if it had been honed and polished to a smooth, bright, shiny finish. It is perfect the way it is !

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suldog said...

Shel is one of the unsung and unjustly forgotten comic geniuses of our time!

GalleryJuana said...

handsome piece. I love how you use found objects in your art jewelry.

Rosebud Collection said...

I have to tell you..you do such unique work and it is beautiful..Stay positive..it is worth it..xoRosebud.

Chris Stone said...

thank you guys so much. ;)