Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Goodbye Good Street

Etsy forums are devolving. End of January that bit of ether will end. Etsy forums to me are like the street of the internet, real but interactive and fun and interesting. Corporate interests are not the same as the interests of life as this devolution so eloquently demonstrates. Open forum structure supports the individual within the wider construct. Segregation stinks... Remember, the Dow Jones is not Grandma's cookbook. A good cookbook has recipes added and written on, a vitality of interaction and history and always includes apple pie.

One thing this brings home, is how the internet is a corporate owned and controled space. I'm not sure where to go with that.

This video, posted by Barney in the small ghost that still clings of the metalsmith's thread, makes me think "Calm Blue Ocean."



Goodbye Good Street.

7 comments:

GalleryJuana said...

I'm bummed about this change with the forums. We'll see if the change was for the better or a complete mistake.

Almost Precious said...

There've been a lot of changes on etsy but I wouldn't take any bets on if it will improve the buyers or the sellers experience. Also many of the changes are cosmetic and really don't offer much. Like "circles", wtf is that all about? Is etsy trying to be etsybook?

Gaynor Mann said...

Just Bummed...no more....no less.

SToNZ said...

Aw....
yes, it's sad.
Glad I found the chat group when I did...

Suldog said...

Sorry to hear about that. Nothing that matters much to me, personally, but I know it means a lot to you and others.

Unknown said...

I don't frequent the forums daily or anything but when I have trouble with something, want ideas, feel like networking or promoting its hte first place I used to go. Now it will be all about my blog.

With all the privacy concerns because of the new email share thingie being implemented in Feb I'm not even sure I want to stick around over there anymore anyway. Truly sad. Oh & Anna you hit it ON THE HEAD with Etsybook...this email thing is riling up everyone! I'm going to blog about it tomorrow probably, still weeding through the 500 pages...

diamond buyer said...

Nice video you have here. Me and my sell jewelry for cash company appreciates this. Have a great day!