Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Making of a Locket

First comes the design, I suppose. Actually, first might come the financing, the commission, and the many competing ideas on what to do. I'll start with the design that hasn't made the cut. And that's the rose lid. I made this out of silver sheet, and was thinking on making the final piece out of gold wire and gold sheet for the roses. Though, I could do silver sheet for the stems with gold roses. I dunno. Still mulling this over.

The reason i went ahead and made the mock up out of metal was, if I wanted to finish it off I'd sell it. (Try to at least!) Or I could stop with the lid and do what I think I'm going to do and mount it on the top of this black onyx.

*Yikes! Still needs to get cleaned up! Antiquing will soften some of those iffy lines, but shouldn't rely on it that much!*

My father wanted me to make my mother a locket, for Christmas. Uh, this past Christmas that is. I warned him it might take me a while, but would love to do it. Hence the rather conservative rose design. I'm also doing one with a tulip that I might post on flickr, or maybe not. I'm doing that mock up in paper mache. *lol.* Silver is expensive, and the tulip design is a bit less straight forward. *My mother likes flowers.*

10 comments:

MmeMagpie said...

That's gorgeous.

Gaynor Mann said...

You did such a beautiful job on this that I cant wait to see what you do with the gold!

jewelstreet said...

It's beautiful either way I think. Though I do think it would look phenomenal on that black onyx.

SToNZ said...

Really ambitious! So far I like it a lot. Can't wait to see what comes next...hope you will show photos along the way!

2 trick pony said...

its lovely.

Ladybuggz said...

That's beautiful, Chris.

Kim V said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished!!

Almost Precious said...

Wow, it should look fabulous on the black onyx as a backdrop. I don't see any "iffy" lines but since you're the artist and creator, I'm sure you're far more critical and see every minute flaw.

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

Chris that is gorgeous! Your mom will love it not only because its beautiful but because it was made with love by you :-)

beadsnbangles said...

Beautiful work. Be sure you show us the final product.