Thursday, May 14, 2009

Nice Surprises

My birthday is May first. I've always enjoyed having a May day birthday.... in grade school we drew flowers for May day. Most of the time I don't tell people when my birthday is because, well... *dunno.* This year my birthday happily coincided with a bike ride in NYC with my mother and brother.

Last week I paused to admire some flowers of mine near my back door, and noticed a package. In it was this wonderful surprise from Kim. The pitcher is very attractive, and I was hoping for a good shot of it! But its tough to convey how nice the shape is, even with Ms Bird's assistance. Also in the package was a loufah sponge and a note saying this was from her "garden." And yes, I spent one long moment imagining the plant a loufah sponge would come from. *She meant the ocean. doh!*



lol. a postscript from Kim: "But I have to tell you something - loufahs are from the garden. They are a type of squash. You can eat them when they are young, but if you leave them on the plant until they get big and let them dry out, they can be made into sponges. After the skin is completely dry, you peel it off and shake out the seeds."

Isn't that funny. *goes back to imagining the plant a loufah would grow on!*

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Cool shape. Nice fluffy cat, too :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!! What a great surprise!

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Love the pitcher, happy birthday! Tomorrow when I use my loofa all I will be able to think of is squash haha

GalleryJuana said...

Happy belated birthday!

I was thinking of the loofah coming from a squash until you said the ocean. My next thought ... I guess I am mistaken. Then I read your postscript. Thanks for the laugh.