Monday, October 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Comes First!

lol. *I feel so declarative with that title. Like, don't mess with me!*

Thanksgiving comes second, really. Halloween comes first. And it is a fall party time, associated with walking in the leaves and eating lots. Okay, the food doesn't come close to Thanksgiving. Not even in the same realm. Halloween is mostly eating and drinking stuff that makes you feel bad soon thereafter. Thanksgiving is ranked by how great the left overs are.

What's fun as far as Halloween memories go are the costumes. One Halloween I and 2 friends dressed up as "Squoinks," which was a cross between a pig and a mouse. ;) It involved large papermache heads that were yellow. And no, it wasn't based on any cartoon character. I don't know where that brilliant yellow idea came from. But we were entertained and that's what counted.

Another Halloween, when I was 6, my brothers rigged up a haunted maze in our garage composed of moving boxes taped together. They would make spooky noises as the poor trick or treaters crawled their way through. I stood at the end of the masterpiece with a bowl of candy. The totally predicable thing happened when one scared kid surged out of the end of the maze, punched me in the eye and ran. Its the only time I've ever been socked in the eye. I feel experienced somehow.

This Halloween I'm planning on nothing more rambunctious than trying hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps at my parents. Though, some papermache might be fun. ;)

3 comments:

Suldog said...

Thanks for adding your voice to the fray, kinda sorta :-)

The Lone Beader® said...

I will be attending a Broadway show this Halloween. Can't wait!

Also, thanks for your comments regarding my beadwork! :)

Unknown said...

I agree that Halloween comes first of course in the spirit of that I really feel that Memorial Day comes first since it unofficially marks the beginning of summer but that is another post for another season haha. I hope you told everyone who asked about your shiner "yeah, you should see the other kid" :-]